Week 5 of The Straits Times Samsung Galaxy S9 After Dark Photo Challenge has come to a close, with some creative attempts at capturing the lights, greenery and lushness of Gardens by the Bay.
We are pleased to announce that Theng Huey Pyng is the winner of the Gardens by the Bay challenge.
This creative take on the Gardens was achieved by shooting with a five-second exposure while turning the smartphone camera, resulting in a dreamy halo effect.
It is not easy to achieve a clean circular halo using a smartphone camera as it can be prone to camera shake.
Once again, a big thank you to all who submitted their entries this week.
If your shot did not win this week, there are still a number of chances left. Four weeks remain in the challenge, leaving four more Samsung Galaxy S9+ (64GB) smartphones worth $1,348 each to be won.
Also, each week's challenge is unique. So if your photos are good enough, you can win the Samsung Galaxy S9+ again, even if you have won it previously.
The location for Week 6's challenge is Geylang Serai and it coincides with the month of Ramadan.
Geylang Serai is buzzing this month, with dazzling lights along the main stretch of Geylang Road and the Geylang Serai Bazaar drawing crowds of Instagram-happy visitors. There will be backdrops and subjects aplenty to shoot when night falls and the bazaar comes to life.
There is no restriction on the brand of the smartphone used, except the photo must be taken with a smartphone camera. Please ensure the photo's IPTC data can be read.
Submit your entry via e-mail to email@example.com with the header "ST Samsung S9 After Dark Photo Challenge: Geylang Serai", along with your name and mobile number. Please use the same e-mail that you use to log in to The Straits Times when submitting the photo entry.
The deadline of submission for this week's challenge is Sunday at 11.59pm.
We will pick the best photo of the week and announce the next winner on The Straits Time Tech website (www.straitstimes.com/tech) on May 30.
As usual, we will also release the location of the next challenge at the same time.
RULES AND REGULATIONS
1. This contest is open only to ST subscribers.
2. No montage, composite and overt manipulation of the entry photo is allowed.
3. Basic darkroom techniques such as contrast, dodging and burning using photo-editing apps are allowed.
4. All entries must be the original work of the entrant and must not infringe on the copyright of any other party.
5. Entrants must not have breached any laws when taking the photographs they are submitting.
6. Entrants will retain copyright of the photographs they submit.
7. By entering the contest, all entrants grant ST and Samsung the right to publish and exhibit their photographs in print or in any media. No fees will be paid for these uses.
8. The judges' decision is final.
9. By entering the contest, the entrant agrees to all the rules and regulations of this contest.
10. ST reserves the right to cancel this contest or alter any of the rules at any stage, if deemed necessary in its opinion, and if circumstances arise outside of its control.