LOS ANGELES (AFP) - Unbeaten fighter Floyd Mayweather likely will return to the ring after a one-year layoff on May 4 in Las Vegas against fellow American Robert Guerrero, the Los Angeles Times reported.
The card would also feature Mexico's undefeated Saul "Cinnamon" Alvarez, who many expect will face Mayweather later this year if both are triumphant in May.
Golden Boy Promotions chief executive Richard schaefer told the Times that a deal could be set this week to send World Boxing Council welterweight champion Mayweather, 43-0 with 26 knockouts, against Guerrero, 31-1-1 with 18 knockouts.
Alvarez, 41-0 with one drawn and 30 knockouts, would defend his World Boxing Council super welterweight crown against Austin Trout, Alfredo Angulo or James Kirkland, according to the report.
Filipino star Nonito Donaire, promoted by Bob Arum, and Mexico's undefeated Abner Mares, signed with Golden Boy, are in talks for an April 13 super-bantamweight unification bout, according to the report.
Mares is 25-0 with one drawn and 13 knockouts while Donaire is 31-1 with 20 knockouts.
Unbeaten American Tim Bradley is in talks to defend the World Boxing Organisation title he took from Filipino icon Manny Pacquiao last year, the Times said, with undefeated Cuban Yuriorkis Gamboa as the likely opponent in suburban Los Angeles.