Tennis: World No. 2 Andy Murray confirms he is set to miss rest of season with hip injury

Andy Murray of Great Britian shows his frustrations as his coach Ivan Lendl looks on before withdrawing from the event during a practice session prior to the US Open Tennis Championships at USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on Aug 26, 2017
Andy Murray of Great Britian shows his frustrations as his coach Ivan Lendl looks on before withdrawing from the event during a practice session prior to the US Open Tennis Championships at USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on Aug 26, 2017.PHOTO: AFP/GETTY IMAGES

LONDON (THE GUARDIAN) - World No. 2 Andy Murray on Wednesday said he will miss the rest of the season because of his hip injury - although he has chosen a continuation of rest rather than surgery, indicating the complaint is not potentially career-ending.

"Unfortunately, I won't be able to compete in the upcoming events in Beijing and Shanghai, and most likely, the final two events to finish the season in Vienna and Paris due to my hip injury which has been bothering me the last few months," the three-time Major champion said.

"Having consulted with a number of leading hip specialists over the last week, along with my own team, we have decided that this is the best decision for my long-term future.

"Although this has been a frustrating year on court for many reasons, I'm confident after this extended period of rest and rehabilitation that I will be able to reach my best level again and be competing for Grand Slam titles next season.

"I will be beginning my 2018 season in Brisbane in preparation for the Australian Open and I'm looking forward to playing in Glasgow later this year against Roger for Unicef UK and Sunny-sid3up.

"I have a fantastic team working alongside me to help me through this process and appreciate the support from them and all of my fans over this difficult period."

His concern about the seriousness of the injury - the details of which he has not revealed - extended to further consultations with specialists last week.

The 30-year-old briefly returned to New York earlier this week, having earlier withdrawn from the US Open shortly after the main draw was made, which resulted in minor controversy, as it left the co-favourites, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, scheduled to meet in the semi-finals rather than in Sunday's final.