BEIJING • Top-seeded Caroline Garcia withdrew from the Tianjin Open yesterday with an injury.
The French tennis player, who has been nursing a right thigh problem, beat Romanian Simona Halep in Sunday's China Open final in Beijing to move into the eighth and final place in the WTA Finals standings ahead of Briton Johanna Konta.
It was not immediately clear if Garcia's withdrawal was due to the injury she had been carrying in Beijing.
"Unfortunately @CaroGarcia has had to withdraw from the #tianjinopen due to injury," the organisers said on Twitter.
Garcia's China Open triumph gave her a second consecutive title after winning the Wuhan Open crown last month and the 23-year-old is now primed for a first singles appearance at the season-ending tournament in Singapore, which runs from Oct 22 to 29.
Obviously her withdrawal yesterday also had to do with a little bit of fatigue as she played and won 11 matches in a row between Wuhan and Beijing.
"I have to look after my body as well," the world No. 9 had said after the win over Halep.
In the first round at the Tianjin Open, she was supposed to face the Russian wild card Maria Sharapova, who will instead play against the Romanian lucky loser Irina Camelia Begu.
Konta had occupied the eighth and final qualifying spot for Singapore until last week.
The Briton, who is not playing in the Tianjin Open, has a chance to qualify if she reaches the final of her next scheduled event in Moscow next week.
However, she will have to make up the 185-point difference with Garcia, who has 3,795 points.
The Frenchwoman has indicated that she might seek a wild card to play in Moscow, reported tennis.com.
Konta, who withdrew with a foot injury from this week's event in Hong Kong, may again fail to feature in the Singapore event.
The 26-year-old had a similar experience a year ago - she was in Singapore and looked set to join the field until wildcard Svetlana Kuznetsova won the Moscow tournament, edging out the Briton a day before play began.