Sports World: Triathlete injured in chainsaw ambush

Triathlete injured in chainsaw ambush

SOUTH AFRICA • Assailants using chainsaws attempted to hack off the legs of South African triathlete Mhlengi Gwala, police said on Wednesday, describing the unprovoked attack as a case of attempted murder.

"While cycling, he was dragged by three unknown men into a bush... and they attempted to cut off his legs with a chainsaw," said police spokesman Nqobile Gwala.

The 26-year-old is recovering in hospital following the pre-dawn attack in Durban and, according to training partner Sandile Shange, Gwala "will be able to walk and run again but it will take some time".

REUTERS


Arnold set to return as coach of Socceroos

SYDNEY • Australian Graham Arnold will succeed Dutchman Bert van Marwijk as Socceroos coach after the World Cup in July and look to guide the national team to a fifth successive appearance at the 2022 Finals in Qatar.

A stalwart of Australian football, the Sydney FC coach will return for a second stint, having led the Socceroos for a year after Guus Hiddink stepped down following the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

Van Marwijk will hold the reins in Russia as part of a short-term deal struck in the wake of Ange Postecoglou's shock resignation in November after securing Australia's qualification via an intercontinental play-off.

REUTERS


Date change, bigger purse for Evian C'ship

PARIS • Starting from 2019, the much-maligned Evian Championship in France will move from July to a September date and will become the world's second richest women's event, the LPGA said on Wednesday.

The Major became a laughing stock last year when the weather was so bad that event officials wiped out the first-round scores and shortened it to 54 holes, a move that was slammed as unworthy of a Major.

The Championship has struggled to live up to its billing since being designated a Major in 2013, but it is hoped the new US$4.1 million (S$5.3 million) purse will liven up the event.

REUTERS


Uefa abandons racism claim by Brewster

LONDON • Uefa has found no evidence to corroborate Liverpool youth striker Rhian Brewster's racism allegations against a Spartak Moscow defender, European football's governing body said on Wednesday after completing an investigation.

The 17-year-old alleged that he was racially abused by Leonid Mironov during Liverpool's 2-0 Uefa Youth League win in December, but Uefa said "no discriminatory words were heard".

The Reds acknowledged Uefa's findings and said they had accepted its decision.

REUTERS

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on March 09, 2018, with the headline 'Sports World'. Print Edition | Subscribe