S'pore cagers lose to rampant Philippines
The national basketball team were dealt their first loss in the fifth Seaba Stankovic Cup yesterday, going down 55-81 to a rampant Philippines team in Thailand.
Despite centre Delvin Goh (17 points) and point guard John Ng (12)'s efforts, the defending champions were simply too good to handle. The Republic's cagers had earlier beaten Indonesia 62-40 in their opening game on Monday.
They must now beat group leaders Thailand in the five-team competition, which includes Malaysia and Indonesia. The two teams on top after the round robin fixtures will advance to the finals, and qualify for September's Fiba Asia Challenge in Iran.
Double benefit for StarHub customers
StarHub TV customers can now watch the Copa America Centenario and the 2016 International Champions Cup on beIN SPORTS HD channel and StarHub Go - an online streaming service.
The monthly subscription for the beIN SPORTS channel costs $21.40 and existing Sports Group customers will be able to watch the channel at no extra cost.
Ayestaran to coach Valencia until 2018
VALENCIA • Valencia have appointed Pako Ayestaran as coach until 2018, the La Liga club said on their website yesterday.
The 53-year-old Spaniard took over the first team in March until the end of the season after former England international Gary Neville was sacked four months into the job.
He guided Valencia - owned by Singaporean businessman Peter Lim - to 12th place in the league standings after a relegation scare, winning three of his eight games in charge.
Rodgers effusive in praise for Celtic
GLASGOW • Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers claimed he has joined one of the world's biggest clubs after being officially unveiled by the Scottish champions on Monday.
The former Liverpool boss, appointed on a 12-month rolling contract, was presented to the media before meeting Celtic supporters at Parkhead.
"I know people talk about the level of Scottish football, but Celtic is one of the biggest clubs in the world, it is certainly not a step down, it is an institution," said the 43-year-old.
Jeonbuk denial on bribe allegations
SEOUL • South Korean champions Jeonbuk Motors rejected allegations yesterday that a club scout paid top-flight referees to influence games, saying the payments were made on a personal basis and the sums involved were too small to be considered bribes.
Two referees have been charged with accepting bribes totalling 5 million won (S$5,800), prosecutors said, with the scout making three payments to one official and two to the other, each for 1 million won, in 2013.
The case had been sent over to the courts for trial next month, Busan District Prosecutor's Office said. Jeonbuk beat Melbourne Victory 2-1 to reach the AFC Champions League quarter-finals yesterday.