LIMA • Scandal-tainted Patrick Hickey has resigned from his position on the International Olympic Committee (IOC) executive board with immediate effect, it was confirmed on Saturday.
A spokesman said that the 72-year-old Irishman, who was arrested at last year's Rio de Janeiro Olympics in connection with a ticket scandal, had vacated his position on the IOC's top committee.
"This now-vacant post will be filled by election during the forthcoming IOC Session in Lima," the spokesman added.
Hickey was detained by Brazilian police in a dramatic raid at his hotel last year. He was held in connection with an an illegal ticket sales scheme.
He denies any wrongdoing but has been formally charged, along with nine others, on counts that include ticket-touting (scalping), ambush marketing, theft, tax evasion, money-laundering and criminal association.
The IOC said Hickey had resigned from the executive board "to protect the IOC and to ensure that the interests of the National Olympic Committees are represented on the Executive Board".
"He also reiterated his innocence in respect of all charges and confirmed that he hopes to exercise his functions as an IOC member in the future," the spokesman said.
Hickey had already suspended himself from all other IOC functions. "However, the IOC reiterates that the presumption of innocence prevails," the spokesman added.
The IOC is gathering in Lima this week to confirm the hosts for the 2024 and 2028 Olympic Games.