McLaren’s Norris still believes he can retain his F1 title

Sign up now: Get the biggest sports news in your inbox

McLaren’s Lando Norris is starting the second half of the F1 season in fifth position overall and a mighty 91 points behind championship leader Kimi Antonelli of Mercedes.

McLaren’s Lando Norris let his racing speak for itself at the Dutch Grand Prix on Aug 22, when he clinched pole position ahead of Mercedes’ George Russell and Kimi Antonelli, with teammate Oscar Piastri starting on the second row after placing fourth.

PHOTO: AFP

  • Lando Norris believes he can still defend his F1 title despite being 91 points behind the leader with up to 12 races left in the season.
  • Norris feels relaxed this year due to last year's success and not being in the top two championship positions currently.
  • He remains hopeful and motivated to fight for the title, especially after McLaren's first win of the season in Hungary.

AI generated

ZANDVOORT, Netherlands – Lando Norris still believes he has a chance of retaining his Formula One title, even though he says he is not currently in the championship chase.

The McLaren driver certainly let his racing speak for itself at the Dutch Grand Prix on Aug 22, when he clinched pole position ahead of Mercedes’ George Russell and Kimi Antonelli, with teammate Oscar Piastri starting on the second row after placing fourth.

Calling it the “best lap of his life”, Norris will be gunning for back-to-back victories after winning the Hungarian Grand Prix on July 26 from pole.

The Briton, who started the second half of the season in fifth position overall, also qualified on the front row for the sprint race at Zandvoort before placing third, and he currently trails championship leader Antonelli by a hefty 90 points.

With a maximum 12 rounds to go, and possibly only 11 if the last two Middle Eastern races have to be cancelled and replaced by one final European grand prix, closing the gap and overtaking the Italian looks a tall order.

It is still mathematically possible, however, and Red Bull’s four-time champion Max Verstappen came back from 104 points behind Piastri at the end of August last season to finish just two points behind Norris.

“This year I don’t feel stressed at all. I feel very relaxed,” Norris told reporters before the track action started at Zandvoort.

“For two reasons: One, because of what I achieved last year; and two, because I’m not in the fight.”

In the sprint race won by Mercedes’ Russell on Aug 22, Norris finished third after being overtaken in the 18th lap by Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc, who placed second. Antonelli was fourth, with Piastri fifth.

Asked whether he really believed the latter part of his statement, given every racing driver’s instinct to battle and hope even against the odds, Norris clarified his position.

“Of course I’m in the fight. If you want to compare it to Max last season you can do. But I don’t mean it that way. I’m just not first, second (place) in the championship,” said the 26-year-old.

“Max didn’t think he was in the fight at this point last season. So it’s more just the saying of that.

“I still believe it’s possible... there’s still a chance. And if there’s a chance, then I want to fight for it.”

Norris qualified second for the grand prix at Zandvoort in 2025, when the sprint format was not used, but retired from the race and was left 34 points behind Piastri.

That remains the Australian’s most recent win in Formula One, with Norris then reeling him in over the rest of the campaign.

Norris said at no point this season had he felt his situation was impossible, even if hope was thin on the ground.

“There’s been not many reasons to believe why it is possible until Budapest,” he said.

“So, obviously, now it’s a more genuine question.” REUTERS

See more on