Formula One: Mercedes seal long-term deal with Wolff, Lauda

Mercedes team bosses and shareholders Toto Wolff (left) and Niki Lauda have agreed new contracts to the end of 2020.
Mercedes team bosses and shareholders Toto Wolff (left) and Niki Lauda have agreed new contracts to the end of 2020.PHOTO: AFP

LONDON • Mercedes team bosses and shareholders Toto Wolff and Niki Lauda have agreed new contracts to the end of 2020, the Formula One (F1) world champions announced yesterday.

The date aligns the two Austrians' contracts with the expiration of the current Commercial Agreement with F1 Management.

Mercedes motorsport head Wolff, who is effectively the team principal, has a 30 per cent stake in Mercedes Grand Prix Limited while non-executive chairman Lauda, a three-time world champion, has 10 per cent.

Daimler AG hold the remaining 60 per cent.

"In 2013, we restructured the management of the team with the clear goal of improving our performance. Since then, however, the results have exceeded our expectations," said Daimler chairman Dieter Zetsche in a statement.

"A key factor in this success has been the combination of Toto's entrepreneurial skills and Niki's experience. Their renewed commitment gives our programme important continuity for the next four years."

Mercedes have won both the drivers' and constructors' championships for the past three years.

"The last few years have been some of the most enjoyable I have had in Formula One," said Lauda, who won his world titles with Ferrari in 1975 and 1977 and McLaren in 1984.

REUTERS

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on February 21, 2017, with the headline 'New deals keep Wolff, Lauda with Mercedes'. Print Edition | Subscribe