LONDON • Polish driver Robert Kubica completed a one-day test with Williams at Silverstone on Wednesday, as he pushes for a Formula One comeback after a seven-year absence.
The former champions said it had been a "successful day" with the 32-year-old driving a 2014-specification FW36 car at the British Grand Prix circuit.
No lap times or any further information about the programme were provided.
The Pole, who won in Canada with BMW Sauber in 2008, is scheduled for a fuller assessment at Budapest's Hungaroring, with Williams' British reserve driver Paul di Resta also due to feature in the two-day test later this month.
Both are in the frame to replace 36-year-old Felipe Massa, should Williams decide not to renew the Brazilian's contract.
Kubica partially severed his right forearm in an horrific 2011 crash during a rally he entered for fun before the start of that Formula One season, and there are lingering doubts about his arm movement. However, he completed 142 laps of the Hungarian Grand Prix circuit in August in a test with Renault that revealed no "obvious roadblocks", according to the French team.
Renault ended up taking Carlos Sainz on loan from Toro Rosso for next season as a replacement, with the Spaniard joining the team already for next week's US Grand Prix in Texas.
Toro Rosso are switching from Renault to Honda engines, with Sainz joining the French manufacturer as part of the deal.
"I think he (Kubica) got really unlucky with Renault. In that moment suddenly Sainz became free because of the whole engine mix, but that's how it works," said Mercedes' retired 2016 world champion Nico Rosberg, who is assisting Kubica.