Formula One: Singapore GP sets up taskforce to review security after Sunday's track invasion

Yogvitam Pravin Dhokia being led away after invading the track.
Yogvitam Pravin Dhokia being led away after invading the track. PHOTO: STOMP

SINGAPORE - Organisers of the Singapore Airlines Singapore Grand Prix have set up an internal multi-departmental taskforce to review the security plan at all track access points, including fortifying the infrastructure and manpower.

This comes in the wake of a track invader's antics which almost wreaked havoc at last Sunday's showpiece at the Marina Bay Street Circuit.

In its first statement since the incident, Singapore GP confirmed that the spectator, Briton Yogvitam Pravin Dhokia, made an unauthorised entry via a designated safety Egress Point (EP) during Lap 37.

It added: "As per Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) regulation, EPs are intentionally left open and unlocked to provide access onto and off the track from the Marshal Zone in the event of an incident.

"This allows a driver to quickly escape the track following a crash or mechanical failure, or for a marshal to access the track to retrieve debris or vehicles."

Singapore GP said all of its 174 trackside access points, including EPs, are protected with a layer of secondary barrier for crowd control. Approximately half of the EPs are manned by race officials, while the rest have security personnel patrolling the areas and control fences.


Singapore GP noted that this has been the practice since the inaugural edition in 2008, and that Sunday's incident was the first track security breach in the event's history.

No explanation was given as to how Dhokia had bypassed security to get onto the track.

Closed-circuit TV camera footage released hours after the race showed a man sauntering across the track and scampering to the other side when race leader Sebastian Vettel's Ferrari emerged from the turn. He then climbed back over the barrier.

Dhokia, 27, was charged with committing a rash act on Tuesday. No one posted bail of $15,000 for him, and his passport has been impounded.

His case will be mentioned on Oct 6. If convicted, he could be jailed for up to six months and/or fined up to $2,500.