LONDON • Formula One's governing body will investigate an incident that saw cars cleared to race while a marshal was still on the track during the Singapore Grand Prix on Sunday.
The International Automobile Federation (FIA) said a report would be carried out to ensure such a situation was not repeated.
Autosport.com quoted a spokesman saying procedures were not "properly executed" by the clerk of the course and team of officials.
The spokesman added: "We take this very seriously. We're not trying to put the blame on single people. Everything will be done to ensure this does not happen again."
The marshal was helping to remove track debris after the safety car was deployed at the end of the first lap, following Force India driver Nico Hulkenberg's crash at the start.
The cars were released at the start of lap three but, despite race control confirming three times with the clerk of the course that the track was clear of people and material, one marshal was still out there.
TV footages showed him sprinting to the side of the circuit as the field, led by Mercedes' Nico Rosberg, bore down on him.
"It was very dangerous," Mercedes motorsport head Toto Wolff said. "I'm really happy it ended up with nobody being hurt."
The Austrian said race control had been asked to re-start races sooner, rather than having cars spend too long behind the safety car, and that request had been heard.
"That probably triggered when one of the marshals, meaning well, was out there cleaning up the mess," said Wolff.
THE GUARDIAN, REUTERS