Video producer cleared after fracas

Investigations involving a physical altercation between video producer Nick Tan and a Football Association of Singapore (FAS) staff member in February have been completed, with Tan cleared to continue his work with the association.

A disciplinary committee, comprising three external lawyers, had made recommendations on appropriate measures which were reviewed and accepted, FAS vice-president S. Thavaneson told The Straits Times yesterday.

He added: "Nick Tan has been reinstated with immediate effect. Disciplinary action has been taken with (FAS communications manager) Dominic Leong and both Nick and Dominic have accepted the outcome."

Tan, runs his own company Nick of Time Productions, had been asked to halt his work with the FAS until the investigations were completed.

The incident occurred during the Community Shield match between reigning S-League champions Albirex Niigata and Tampines Rovers at the National Stadium on Feb 26.

The scuffle was sparked by a dispute over a media pass for the match for one of Tan's videographers, who was denied entry to the match as she lacked the appropriate media accreditation to cover the game.

Tan said: "The layoff cost me money as I signed a contract with the FAS for the S-League and I could not do a lot of jobs during the investigation.

"I had to find people to operate for me since I could not be on site, and costs were involved in finding people to help me operate. I usually do the operations myself."

"It's a good thing that the council came to a conclusion to stop the investigation and I'm looking forward to going back to work for the FAS. "

Tan, who is contracted as an S-League vendor as well, does production work for the FAS - ranging from video production and editing, and photographs of football matches played in Singapore.

The promotional video for Saturday's 2019 AFC Asian Cup qualifier between Singapore and Chinese Taipei was his first production since being cleared.

He said: "I'm very happy and glad that the whole thing is resolved, it's good to put this incident behind us."

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on June 07, 2017, with the headline 'Video producer cleared after fracas'. Print Edition | Subscribe