Shaw vows to fight on despite Jose's criticism

LONDON • Luke Shaw has said that Jose Mourinho's claim that he was a poor trainer and lacked "ambition, focus and commitment" last week was hard to stomach.

However, the fullback has vowed to prove to the Manchester United manager that he deserves to stay at the club.

"The stuff that has been going on is hard for me to take, because deep down, that is not me as a person," he said after helping to earn the penalty that led to United equalising against Everton on Tuesday.

However, he was unaware when speaking that Mourinho had again been critical following the defender's 25-minute substitute appearance during the 1-1 draw. The Portuguese claimed that Shaw lacks the intelligence to play well without the manager's assistance.

"He needs to grow up, mature and understand the game better. I was making every decision for him," Mourinho said.

Phil Neville, the former United defender, said that Shaw needed to "take a massive look at himself" and should feel "embarrassed" by the situation. However, the 21-year-old insists that any criticism will spur him on.

"I am keeping my head up and I am not going to give up," he said. "I love this club and I will give everything to be here.

"I am working harder than ever. I am going through a phase where everything sort of is going against me, but I want this so badly, I want to prove everyone wrong.

"Like Jose said, he wants to see me fighting. I will fight to the last second because I want to be here for the club. I want to play for the manager and I want to help this team get back to the top."

He was relieved that his exile from the first team appeared to be over, having started just one league match since October.

"I have missed it so much, being on the pitch," he said. "I really do love to play."

THE TIMES, LONDON

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on April 07, 2017, with the headline 'Shaw vows to fight on despite Jose's criticism'. Print Edition | Subscribe