My opinion is more important: Man United boss Amorim backs Fernandes after Keane criticism

Sign up now: Get ST's newsletters delivered to your inbox

Manchester United captain Bruno Fernandes during the 3-2 Premier League win over Ipswich Town in which he was involved in all three goals.

Manchester United captain Bruno Fernandes during the 3-2 Premier League win over Ipswich Town in which he was involved in all three goals.

PHOTO: AFP

Follow topic:

Bruno Fernandes is a key player for Manchester United, manager Ruben Amorim stressed on Feb 28 as he defended the Portugal midfielder following criticism from the Premier League club’s former captain Roy Keane.

Fernandes was named Man of the Match for his involvement in all three goals in a 3-2 victory over Ipswich Town in midweek. But he has often been criticised for his on-field demeanour and has admitted in the past that his gesticulating and complaining can rile up both teammates and opponents.

In an appearance on the Stick to Football podcast alongside former Arsenal player Ian Wright, Keane criticised the United captain’s work rate, adding: “Talent is not enough! You keep going back to talent – Bruno’s a talented player, but it’s not enough.”

Amorim said he did not agree with Keane’s remarks on Fernandes.

“I heard about that. I have a different opinion. Bruno is really important for us and the club. He is playing well in a difficult context,” the Portuguese said ahead of an FA Cup fifth-round home clash with Fulham on March 2.

“He wants always the responsibility. I know sometimes as a captain he does things with his arms but most of all it is a lot of frustration for this year and the last year.

“He wants to win and sometimes it is hard to deal with that frustration.

“Everyone has an opinion. Roy Keane has big standards from his time at the club and it is normal to have an opinion. I have an opposite opinion and I think my opinion is more important than Roy Keane’s because I am the coach.”

Amorim’s press conference was dominated by questions about his own players rather than the match against Fulham. But it is not difficult to see why, considering that the Red Devils are still struggling in 14th spot in the league.

The United boss also clarified that he had spoken to Argentinian forward Alejandro Garnacho, who was substituted following Patrick Dorgu’s red card in the win over Ipswich and headed straight down the tunnel instead of joining his teammates on the bench.

“He came to me, to my office,” he added. “I did some investigation. He went to the dressing room, he changed his clothes because he was wet (from the rain).

“He watched the game in the different (place), not on the bench. In the end of the game he was there, then he went home, so there’s not an issue there. But I told him that at Manchester United everything is an issue. At this club, perception is important.

“He will pay for dinner for all the team. That is it.”

Meanwhile, FA Cup action kicked off on Feb 28 as forward Marco Asensio fired Aston Villa into the quarter-finals by scoring twice in a 2-0 win against Cardiff.

Unai Emery’s side were held at bay by the gritty Championship outfit until deep into the second half at Villa Park. Asensio’s double then ensured Villa advanced to the last eight for the first time since their run to the final in 2015.

The 29-year-old has four goals in six games for the team since joining on loan from Paris Saint-Germain in January.

“We needed Asensio. We were creating chances but not clinical. The second half... we scored one goal. After that, it was easier to dominate,” Emery said.

“Playing against a Championship team is not easy, trying to respect them because you can lose even if you’re better than the opponent.”

Villa last won the FA Cup in 1957 and Emery added: “We are not considered favourites to win this trophy. We are contenders but not favourites.” REUTERS, AFP

See more on