How does one make sense of this roller-coaster of a LionsXII season? Judging by the statistics of the league matches played, it seems that they struggled to settle early in both home and away games. At home, however, they managed to find goals by the second half to maintain their unbeaten home record.
FIRST-HALF AWAY NERVES
• In six of eight away games, their opponents scored in the first half. Of the 15 away goals conceded, eight have come in the opening 30 minutes.
• Even in their lone away victory, a 2-1 win over Sime Darby, they had to claw back from an early goal down.
• In three of their four away defeats - against Kelantan (0-2), Selangor (0-4) and PDRM (1-2) - they conceded more than a goal in the first half.
SECOND-HALF HOME GRIT
• In contrast, the LionsXII are unbeaten at Jalan Besar with six wins and two draws. Of the 17 goals scored, 10 have come in the second half.
• They have trailed by an early goal in three of their home matches, but recovered to beat Perak and Felda (both 2-1), and drew 1-1 with Terengganu.
FEW LATE FLURRIES
• Of the 25 goals scored by the LionsXII, only four came in the final 10 minutes.
• None of the four goals had a major bearing on the result. The lone stoppage-time away goal came in a 2-3 loss to Pahang, while the three late home goals came when the LionsXII already had the lead.