Football: Saints march on as Spurs stage FA Cup comeback

LONDON (AFP) - Shane Long scored the winner as Premier League high-flyers Southampton saw off second-tier Ipswich Town 1-0 in their FA Cup third-round replay on Wednesday, Jan 14, 2015.

Victory saw the Saints, third in the Premier League, book a fourth-round tie at home to top-flight rivals Crystal Palace - a side now managed by former Southampton boss Alan Pardew.

Meanwhile Mauricio Pochettino, another former Southampton manager, had a night to remember as his Tottenham Hotspur team came from 2-0 down to beat Burnley 4-2 at White Hart Lane to set up another all-top division Cup clash, at home to basement club Leicester.

Elsewhere, third-tier Bradford defeated second division Millwall 4-0 as the Bantams booked a glamour tie away to Premier League leaders Chelsea.

Ipswich had done well to hold Southampton, third in the Premier League, to a 1-1 draw at St Mary's and the 1978 FA Cup-winners had an early effort from Stephen Hunt disallowed for offside.

It needed an opportunist strike from Long to give south coast side Southampton, fresh from their morale-boosting win away to Manchester United - the team they beat to win the 1976 FA Cup final - the lead in the 19th minute at a windswept Portman Road.

Saints' James Ward-Prowse burst through the middle only to be dispossessed by an excellent sliding tackle from Ipswich's Tommy Smith.

But as the loose ball squirted away to the right of the area, Republic of Ireland striker Long let fly with a first-time shot for what turned out to be the only goal of the game.

"It was a tough game," Long told the BBC. "It was very windy and the pitch was cut up. Ipswich are third in the Championship for a reason and it was hard." On the stroke of half-time, Southampton - already missing the influential Morgan Schneiderlin - saw Victor Wanyama suffer what appeared to be a hamstring injury.

But Saints manager Ronald Koeman said he had no plans to reinforce his squad by signing players during the January transfer window.

"Victor Wanyama is a pity," Koeman said. "He will have a scan tomorrow and we will see, but he will be missing for a few weeks.

"It is difficult. I won't necessarily go into the transfer market, I have young lads who we can use."

There was a frantic start in north London with three goals inside the opening 10 minutes at White Hart Lane.

Marvin Sordell gave visitors Burnley a third-minute lead and five minutes later the Clarets, who held Spurs to a 1-1 draw at Turf Moor, were 2-0 ahead when Ross Wallace's 25-yard free-kick took a huge deflection off Roberto Soldado and beat the wrong-footed Michel Vorm.

But within minutes Spurs, who beat Burnley to win the 1962 FA Cup final, had pulled a goal back.

Andros Townsend's cross was nodded on by Soldado and Paulinho took the ball on his chest before unleashing a half-volley.

Spurs equalised on the stroke of half-time through Etienne Capoue before two goals early in the second half, a header from Vlad Chriches and Danny Rose's close-range strike, completed the comeback.

Afterwards, Pochettino said his side had been involved in a "strange game".

"It was a very interesting game," he said. "It was a strange game.

"It was key to go in at half-time at 2-2. The team has shown character and faith... I am happy they showed character because that is important." Burnley manager Sean Dyche added: "It was a good game for the neutral. We came here to win but it was a game of mistakes from us."

In Yorkshire, Bradford added to the pressure on Millwall manager Ian Holloway, whose side are battling to avoid relegation from the Championship.

Bradford were 3-0 up before the interval thanks to goals from James Hanson, Jon Stead and Andy Halliday before Billy Knott added a fourth early in the second half.

Join ST's Telegram channel and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.