BERLIN (AFP) - Manchester United-target Mats Hummels says he expects to make a "gut decision" in the next few weeks with the Red Devils poised to swoop for the Borussia Dortmund defender.
Reports in the British media suggest United are set to table a €35 million (S$50 million) bid for the 2014 World Cup-winning centre-back, who previously told German daily Bild that the English club would be his "only" choice if he moves abroad.
"I just say what is going on in my head, but that doesn't mean that I am gone already," the German international told Sky Sports on Saturday when asked about his 'only Manchester United' quote after Dortmund's 1-0 defeat to Bayern Munich.
"I'm thinking about it and it's nothing which isn't known to those in charge at Dortmund.
"There is no trend, just mind games, which will be resolved in the next few weeks."
"I made a gut decision at the end of 2007 between Dortmund and Hoffenheim (when he left Bayern) and decided on Borussia, that's what I'll do now."
But Dortmund's chief executive officer Hans-Joachim Watzke insists it is down to Borussia where Hummels plays his football next season.
With two more years to run on his current contract, Dortmund are eager to keep their 26-year-old captain having watched top talent Robert Lewandowski and Mario Goetze leave for rivals Bayern Munich in the last two seasons.
"We have had the situation in Dortmund recently that we have lost one of our top performers every year," Watzke told German daily Bild.
"And we still haven't stopped playing football.
"But to make it clear, Mats Hummels knows the contract situation.
"The decision as to where Mats plays next season is of course only down to Borussia Dortmund."
Having won the 2011 and 2012 German league titles, then finished runners-up to Bayern for the last two seasons, Dortmund have struggled for domestic form this season.
They found themselves bottom of the league at the start of February before exiting the Champions League at the last-16 stage.
They are now 15 points off a Champions League berth for next term.
They are also waiting on Germany midfielder Ilkay Gundogan to extend his current contract, which expires in June 2016, "but no decision has yet been taken", added Watzke.
"No one needs to worry: we will have a strong team next year," he said.
"If we don't qualify for Europe next season, we will have to trim down, because our squad will be too big for a year without international competition.
"But the team budget will still be higher than in the years when we were German champions."
One player reported to be poised to leave Dortmund at the end of the season is Italy striker Ciro Immobile, who has failed to make an impact since his €18.5 million move from Torino last year.