LONDON (THE GUARDIAN) - Arsene Wenger has said he will revisit his interest in Monaco forward Thomas Lemar, after confirming Arsenal submitted a late €100 million (S$161.04 million) bid for the France international before Thursday's transfer deadline.
Wenger said Arsenal met Monaco's €100 million asking price for the 21-year-old but that Lemar decided against a move away from the Ligue 1 champions.
Arsenal made three bids for Lemar earlier in the summer - the biggest was €50million - but even the late €100 million offer did not get over the line.
Speaking on Telefoot, a French football programme, Wenger said: "€100 million for Lemar? Yes all true, I wanted him. He decided to stay at Monaco. We will come back for him."
Alexis Sanchez's proposed move to Manchester City collapsed as a result of Arsenal's failure to push through a late move for Lemar, with a medical virtually impossible due to the player being on international duty.
Lemar scored twice in France's resounding 4-0 win over the Netherlands on Thursday.
City had put forward a second cash offer for Sanchez, which was worth £55 million plus £5 million in add-ons. Arsenal were inclined to accept it, with the player keen on the move but Sanchez saw any departure ultimately blocked.