Burnley boss gets another 4 ½ years

LONDON • Burnley manager Sean Dyche has signed a new contract that will keep him at Turf Moor for a further 4 ½  years, the English Premier League club announced on Tuesday.

The 46-year-old, in charge of the north-west side since October 2012, is widely regarded as one of the best in the current crop of young English managers along with Bournemouth's Eddie Howe.

Earlier this season, Dyche was linked with the vacancy at Everton after Ronald Koeman was sacked.

Tuesday also saw Clarets assistant manager Ian Woan and first-team coach Tony Loughlan sign new deals that will keep them with Burnley until June 2022.

"I am quite young in management terms. I am still learning and still improving, so for my personal reasons as well, I think it's the right place to be," Dyche, who has twice led them to promotion to the top flight, told the club website.

"It's a very good environment and I enjoy it and I enjoy the connection I've had with this area.

"There's lots of work to be done, but I'm definitely 'in' for the work to be done."

Burnley are an impressive eighth in the Premier League, six points and a place above Everton.

While the club did not give any financial details of the new deal, the Lancashire Evening Telegraph said that Dyche would be earning £3.5 million (S$6.5 million) a year.

Dyche also added to his squad on Tuesday by signing winger Aaron Lennon from Everton.

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE, REUTERS

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on January 25, 2018, with the headline 'Burnley boss gets another 4½ years'. Print Edition | Subscribe