LONDON • Sam Allardyce has said John Terry could return for England, although the new manager accepts this also depends on the defender's desire to do so.
Terry won the last of his 78 caps in England's 5-0 away win over Moldova in September 2012. He retired from international football the same month before a Football Association hearing into the allegations that the Chelsea captain had racially abused Queens Park Rangers' Anton Ferdinand.
The hearing came after Westminster magistrate's court had cleared him of the accusation in July of that year.
Terry stated the FA's charge made his position "untenable".
English football's governing body found him guilty and fined him £220,000 ($391,350), together with banning him for four games.
Allardyce is due to announce his first England squad on Sunday, before a five-day training camp and the opening 2018 World Cup qualifier against Slovakia on Sept 4.
The last time John Terry played for the England national team.
Asked if it is possible Terry, 35, will play for England again, Allardyce said: "Maybe so. I think it depends on what John said.
"Maybe if I get the opportunity I might have to give him a ring but until I come to that selection or that process, we'll wait and see.
"I don't know what the political side of that might mean, if there is a political side.
"I'll have to have that conversation if I feel that John Terry may be a possibility."
With regard to the FA, Allardyce would be clear to select Terry, who has started both of Chelsea's Premier League matches this season under Antonio Conte.
Despite giving assurances to Joe Hart about his selection, Allardyce was clear that the out-of-favour Manchester City goalkeeper - as with any player - would have to play regularly if he is to be part of the squad on a continual basis.
"In the end it is critical (that a player is playing)," he said.
"If it's a short period of time, maybe not - they come back in the team and everything goes fine.
"If it goes for a longer period then it's difficult to select them."
Allardyce also indicated he may drop Marcus Rashford because the 18-year-old striker has been an unused substitute for Manchester United this season.
"It makes it harder for me now to select him, despite how exciting he was last year and how he burst on to the scene," the manager said.
"At such a young age, do I say: 'Go play in the Under-21s? Get used to international football there, play regularly there and it will help you eventually, hopefully break into the Manchester United team and then break into the England senior team.'
"You've got all those scenarios to consider."
THE GUARDIAN, THE TIMES, LONDON