Football: Everton beat Swansea to earn potential Merseyside derby in FA Cup

LIVERPOOL (AFP) - Roberto Martinez kept alive his dream of winning the FA Cup in successive seasons with different clubs - and a potential mouthwatering clash with Merseyside rivals Liverpool - as Everton beat Swansea 3-1 to advance into the quarter-finals on Sunday.

The Toffees manager, who guided Wigan to Cup glory last term,produced the telling substitution which helped Everton break a stalemate with their Premier League rivals at Goodison Park.

After Everton debutant Lacina Traore and Swansea's Jonathan de Guzman had traded early goals, Steven Naismith's introduction on the hour proved decisive as he scored a second goal for Everton and won the penalty from which Leighton Baines completed the scoring.

Traore, the January loan transfer signing from Monaco, had taken just four minutes of his Everton debut to hand Martinez's side the lead.

Kevin Mirallas's free-kick was headed goalwards by Sylvain Distin, who did well to latch onto the blocked effort and thread a pass to Traore who scored via an audacious back heel from six yards that passed through the legs of Pablo Hernandez.

However, Everton conceded after just 14 minutes when the visitors equalised with a routine goal that exposed some poor Everton defending.

The unmarked de Guzman raced in between the stationary Baines and Distin to connect with left-back Neil Taylor's far-post cross and head powerfully past Joel Robles.

The second half opened with Everton again carving out the better chances with Barkley, yet again, chancing his arm from the edge of the area and Pienaar wasting a glorious chance by heading wide from six yards from James McCarthy's touch.

By that stage, Martinez had brought on Naismith and Leon Osman as 60th minute substitutes and it was to be the former who made an almost immediate impact by shooting Everton into the lead five minutes later.

The goal required a considerable helping hand from Swansea, however, as Taylor succumbed to pressure from Mirallas and hit a poor back pass in the direction of his goalkeeper.

Naismith showed lighting reactions to intercept the ball and calmly beat the advancing Tremmel with a finish into the far corner for his fourth goal in the last six matches.

A further six minutes on and Naismith was again involved as Everton effectively killed off the tie.

The substitute was on the receiving end of a rash challenge from Richards and referee Kevin Friend instantly awarded the penalty kick from which Baines convincingly handed Everton a 3-1 lead with a shot into the bottom right-hand corner.


- Arsenal or Liverpool v Everton

- Brighton or Hull City v Sunderland

- Sheffield United or Nottingham Forest v Sheffield Wednesday or Charlton Athletic

- Manchester City v Wigan Athletic

*Matches to be played on the weekend of March 8/9.

Join ST's Telegram channel and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.