LOS ANGELES • Saul "Canelo" Alvarez and Gennady "GGG" Golovkin's highly-anticipated middleweight fight will take place at Las Vegas's T-Mobile Arena on Sept 16, fight promoters confirmed.
Oscar de la Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions had suggested a range of venues from Dallas to Los Angeles were being considered for the fight, one of the most mouthwatering match-ups in years. However Golden Boy confirmed on Twitter on Monday that the fight would be held at the 20,000-capacity T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
"It's official!!! We're going back to Vegas! T-Mobile Arena will host the Fight of the year," Golden Boy wrote. "September 16! The fight you've been craving for," the boxing promotions company added.
"Everybody wanted this fight and I nailed it down," retired boxer de la Hoya later said on ESPN.
According to Forbes, it will be the richest fight since American Floyd Mayweather Jr and Filipino Manny Pacquiao fought two years ago. That 2015 clash reportedly generated over US$600 million (S$828 million) - a record.
The fight will be contested at a maximum of 160lb (72 kg) and will feature two of the most explosive fighters in any division. In their combined 88 fights, 67 have ended in knockouts.
67 Knockouts that Gennady Golovkin and Saul Alvarez have managed in a combined 88 bouts.
Kazakh Golovkin (37-0, 33 knockouts) is widely seen as the favourite. He will defend his middleweight titles against Alvarez, who is 49-1-1 with 34 knockouts.
The 35-year-old said: "This is the big fight I have been seeking all my life. The chance to prove I am the greatest."
Alvarez suffered his only loss against Mayweather in 2013, when many observers believed he took on that clash too early in his career.
Golovkin is coming off a hard-fought decision win over American Daniel Jacobs in March at Madison Square Garden - the first time in nine years he was forced to go the distance in a bout.
Alvarez's last fight saw him dominate compatriot Julio Cesar Chavez Jr last month in Las Vegas.
"I am thrilled to return to T-Mobile Arena, and to give the fans the best fight that can be made in our sport today," said the 26-year-old Mexican.
"I have repeatedly said that I fear no man, and I am now going to prove it by stepping into the ring against GGG. When the final bell rings, everyone will know that this is indeed the Canelo era, and that I am the best fighter in all of boxing."
De la Hoya, who promotes Mexican star Alvarez, predicted an explosive fight.
"Everybody who wants to go to Vegas, have a great time. Watch a great fight with Triple G (Golovkin) and Canelo. It's going to be a train wreck."