NBA: Wiggins, Timberwolves silence Thunder

Andrew Wiggins #22 of the Minnesota Timberwolves drives for two against the San Antonio Spurs at AT&T Center in San Antonio, Texas, on Oct 18, 2017. PHOTO: AFP

LOS ANGELES (AFP) - Andrew Wiggins thwarted the Oklahoma City Thunder's comeback bid, launching a game-winning three-pointer as time expired to lift the Minnesota Timberwolves to a 115-113 National Basketball Association triumph on Sunday.

Wiggins' banked-in shot from near half-court denied new Thunder signing Carmelo Anthony a signature moment with his new club. Anthony had put Oklahoma City up with five seconds remaining.

"I could see how much time was left," Wiggins said. "I got as close as I could and let it go.

"Everything worked perfect. When it left my hands it felt amazing."

The result left the crowd in Oklahoma City - not to mention the Thunder - stunned by a second straight defeat.

Anthony, acquired in September from the New York Knicks in a blockbuster trade, finished with 23 points.

Wiggins and Karl-Anthony Towns led the Timberwolves with 27 points apiece. Towns also pulled down a team-high 12 rebounds.

Reigning NBA Most Valuable Player Russell Westbrook, coming off a six-point performance in a loss to the Utah Jazz on Saturday, shook off a slow start to score 31 points with 10 assists for Oklahoma City. But his late-game heroics were not enough after the Thunder's lackluster start.

He scored 15 points in the fourth quarter, including a three-pointer with 30 seconds remaining, that tied the game at 110-110.

Towns answered with another basket, and after Anthony's three-pointer put the Thunder up again Wiggins swooped for the win.

Westbrook was not convinced that the hard screen set by Towns that freed Wiggins for the game-winner - and knocked down the Thunder's Paul George - was legal.

Thunder coach Billy Donovan said he would leave it to NBA officials to "deal with that stuff".

Centre Steven Adams was a lone bright spot for the Thunder in the early going, scoring 14 first-half points. But even though his efforts helped the Thunder outscore the Timberwolves by 10 points in the paint in the first half, it was Minnesota who led at the break 61-54.

The Timberwolves led 88-75 going into the fourth. The Thunder opened the final period with a 14-6 scoring run before their late charge ultimately fell short.

The Brooklyn Nets, stung by the injury to Jeremy Lin in the first game of the season, nevertheless notched a second straight victory with a 116-104 home win over the Atlanta Hawks.

Allen Crabbe, playing limited minutes as he continues his recovery from a pre-season ankle injury, produced 20 points, including a three-pointer with 4min 37sec left to play that broke a 99-99 tie and put the Nets ahead for good.

Crabbe was efficient in his 25:38min on the court, coming off the bench and making seven of 12 shots and four of the Nets' 11 three-pointers.

"They give me the green light to shoot the ball, so it's not going to hurt me to get them up," Crabbe said. "The basket looks bigger and bigger after each one I make."

Join ST's Telegram channel and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.