SINGAPORE - A woman in her 30s was taken to hospital with burn injuries after a suspected gas explosion in her Ang Mo Kio flat on Tuesday morning.
The blast shattered some of the flat's window panes, leaving broken glass along the corridor outside the fourth floor unit. One of the windows that was dislodged by the explosion damaged a vehicle in the car park below the flat.
The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said it was alerted to a fire at 7.33am at Block 218 Ang Mo Kio Avenue and dispatched a fire engine, an ambulance and a support vehicle to the scene.
But the fire which involved a kitchen stove had burnt itself out prior to SCDF's arrival, the SCDF said. The cause of the fire is under investigation.
The woman is undergoing treatment at the Singapore General Hospital.
In an advisory on how to handle liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) safely, the SCDF gave the following tips:
- Purchase LPG and PSB-approved accessories from authorised dealers
- Always keep gas cylinders upright; never store them horizontally
- Keep the gas cylinder at least 1m away from open flames, heat sources and electrical outlets
- Ensure that there are no naked flames nearby when changing the gas cylinder
- Store no more than one spare cylinder at any time, with the spare kept upright in a ventilated cabinet
- Keep windows open and the kitchen well ventilated while cooking; never leave cooking unattended or place flammable items near the flame
- Turn off the gas supply at the regulator before leaving for overseas trips
- Check all gas connections regularly for leakage; there is a leakage if bubbles appear when detergent or soap solution is applied onto the gas hose
- Replace gas hoses every two years and gas regulators every five years
If residents smell a gas leak, they should:
- Put out all flames and turn off the stove, gas valves and regulators
- Open all windows and doors to ventilate the house
- Call their authorised dealer to report the gas leakage immediately