Top stories from The Straits Times on Saturday, May 19

Good morning! Here are our top stories to kickstart your Saturday, May 19.


Pakatan Harapan committed to reforms after election win: Anwar Ibrahim


Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, speaking to The Straits Times yesterday at his home, said he had advised former prime minister Najib Razak "as a friend" to "accept the results, concede early, and move on", when the latter called him on election night as the results came in. ST PHOTO: ARIFFIN JAMAR

The raid on one of former prime minister Najib Razak's residences that netted hundreds of luxury handbags, jewellery and cash shocked not just the nation, but premier-in-waiting Anwar Ibrahim too. His advice to Mr Najib now? "Prepare a good defence." 

READ MORE HERE

Anti-graft agency wants statement from Najib: Report


Former Malaysia prime minister Najib Razak reacts during Friday prayers in Kuala Lumpur, on May 18, 2018. PHOTO: EPA-EFE

Malaysia's anti-graft agency has summoned former prime minister Najib Razak to give a statement about an investigation involving a former unit of state fund 1MDB, reports said.

READ MORE HERE

Texas teen charged with killing 10 in high school massacre


A shooting was reported at Santa Fe High School in a suburb of Houston on May 18, 2018. PHOTO: TWITTER/ HCSOTEXAS

Students said a gunman, identified as Dimitrios Pagourtzis, opened fire in a classroom at Santa Fe High School on Friday morning local time.

READ MORE HERE

Uber's unhired fleet floods used-car market


Lion City Rentals cars numbered around 14,000 before the Uber-owned firm rushed to buy more before the end of last year ahead of a new emission ruling. PHOTO: ST FILE, FACEBOOK/SGCARMART.COM

However, industry watchers and consumers worry that the deluge will have an impact on new-and used-car sales.

READ MORE HERE

What Singaporeans hope for from talks with 4G team


To ensure that people will be unafraid to voice their opinions, some think that the Government should not get directly involved in facilitating the talks. PHOTO: LIN ZHAOWEI FOR THE STRAITS TIMES

The dialogue series to be launched by the fourth-generation ministers and MPs is a chance for regular Singaporeans to influence policy thinking - and more broadly, establish a new relationship of trust with these younger political leaders, said members of the public.

READ MORE HERE

More than 100 killed in passenger plane crash in Cuba


A Cuban state airways passenger plane with more than 100 passengers on board crashed shortly after taking off from Havana's airport on May 18, 2018. PHOTO: AFP

The aircraft, on a domestic flight to Holguin in eastern Cuba, crashed shortly after taking off from Havana. 

READ MORE HERE

SIA back on solid ground, but challenges remain


Singapore Airlines (SIA) planes seen from Changi Airport Terminal 3 departure transit area on May 14, 2018. ST PHOTO: LIM YAOHUI

After battling major disruptions, with fierce competition from other premium carriers as well as budget airlines eroding its profits over the years, SIA seems to be back on solid ground.

READ MORE HERE

How Mondrian's art came to heartland


The HDB blocks in Teck Whye with a red, blue and yellow mosaic pattern, reminiscent of abstract artist Piet Mondrian's works. The paint job was completed earlier this month. ST PHOTOS: DEREK WONG, ALVIN HO

When it came time for residents in Teck Whye Avenue to choose a new colour for their HDB blocks last June, they were presented with three choices: a white and brown combination with a geometric pattern; a plain white scheme with purple and maroon highlights; and one quite unlike any other HDB design.

READ MORE HERE

2018 won't see repeat of 2015 haze crisis: Indonesian Minister


The haze in Singapore is largely caused by winds blowing smoke from forest fires in Indonesia towards the Republic. PHOTO: ST FILE

Singapore looks set to see a third straight year with no haze, due in part to Indonesia's sustained efforts at curbing fires and preventing their spread.

READ MORE HERE

Britain’s Prince Charles to walk Meghan Markle down the aisle

Prince Charles, the heir to the British throne, will walk Ms Meghan Markle down the aisle at her glittering wedding to his son Prince Harry on Saturday after her own father had to pull out because of ill health.  

READ MORE HERE