Tenants worry business at JEM will be affected following string of mishaps

Ceiling collapse at JEM (Jurong East Mall) . Worried tenants told The Straits Times that Wednesday's late night ceiling collapse has added to fears that fewer shoppers will patron JEM mall in Jurong East following the latest addition to the mall
Ceiling collapse at JEM (Jurong East Mall) . Worried tenants told The Straits Times that Wednesday's late night ceiling collapse has added to fears that fewer shoppers will patron JEM mall in Jurong East following the latest addition to the mall's string of mishaps. -- ST PHOTO:  NEO XIAOBIN

Worried tenants told The Straits Times that Wednesday's late night ceiling collapse has added to fears that fewer shoppers will patron JEM mall in Jurong East following the latest addition to the mall's string of mishaps.

"I am concerned about business in the future because people will think twice about coming to JEM.. who knows (when) another mishap may happen," said Earle Swensen's restaurant manager Sazali Jaafar, 45.

A large portion of the ceiling - believed to be about 50m long - on the first level of the mall fell to the ground just after 10pm, followed by a gush of water from what is understood to be a burst water pipe.

Three individuals sustained minor injuries and were conveyed to National University Hospital, a Singapore Civil Defence spokesperson said.

Starbucks shift supervisor Mohamed Ibrahim Bin Mohamed Taib, 29, was present when the ceiling collapsed.

"There was water rushing out from the pipes and all the wiring was on the floor. I was quite shocked," said Mr Ibrahim. Customers and staff were immediately and safely evacuated from the building, he added.

Like Mr Sazali, Mr Ibrahim too is worried about the footfall to the mall following the recent spate of accidents.

"Eventually people will be scared to come to Jem because of this incident happening," said Mr Ibrahim.

Last month, thousands of shoppers at JEM had to be evacuated after a car caught fire in the basement carpark.

Earlier in the same week, three employees manning the ready-to-eat counter at the mall's NTUC FairPrice Xtra store suffered minor burns when a deep fryer caught fire.