Supervisor jailed for dumping dying worker

Despite knowing both his workers were drunk, Azhar Abdul Rahman allowed them to work at a poorly lit and unsecured worksite.
Despite knowing both his workers were drunk, Azhar Abdul Rahman allowed them to work at a poorly lit and unsecured worksite.PHOTO: ST GRAPHICS

A safety supervisor who dumped a dying worker on a pavement after the latter had fallen from a roof has been jailed for six months.

Myanmar national Myo Min Aung, 28, was working as a freelance painter when he fell about 12m from the roof of a link bridge at VivoCity. He had been drinking earlier.

Azhar Abdul Rahman, 45, pleaded guilty to leaving a dying Mr Myo in Upper Circular Road at about 1.20am on Oct 7, 2013. With him was his brother, Hidayat, whose case is pending.

Azhar also admitted to allowing Mr Myo and freelance painter Min Aung Myat Min to work at the HarbourFront Walk worksite when it was not secure or well lit. He also knew that both men were drunk and could fall off the roof.

Azhar worked for Height.Service.Magnanimity, a company owned by Hidayat's wife. Hidayat was in charge of operations.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Sarah Ong said Mr Myo did not have a work pass for painting works.

At about 11.30pm on Oct 6 that year, Mr Min was setting up spotlights on the roof of the link bridge while Mr Myo walked to the other side of the bridge to prepare ropes needed for works to be carried out.

Mr Min was lowering an electrical cable to Azhar when he found the cable was entangled.

He called out to Mr Myo, but found him lying on the ground and in pain.

Azhar told Hidayat. Mr Myo was then put in the back seat of Hidayat's car in a multi-storey carpark. Hidayat and Mr Min also changed Mr Myo's work attire for civilian clothes.

Hidayat then drove to the ground floor, where Mr Min got out and Azhar entered the car.

However, instead of taking Mr Myo to hospital, the two brothers drove around for 30 minutes before dumping him in Upper Circular Road near Songfa Bak Kut Teh.

Azhar called for an ambulance at 1.24am. Mr Myo was pronounced dead at 1.33am. The "anonymous'' call was subsequently traced to Azhar's mobile phone.

Azhar will start his sentence when he finishes his current sentence of seven years and six strokes of the cane for enhanced drug abuse.

Elena Chong

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on December 12, 2015, with the headline 'Supervisor jailed for dumping dying worker'. Print Edition | Subscribe