Spize restaurant's River Valley licences terminated by NEA after fatal food poisoning incident

The authorities found an "unusually severe" outbreak of the salmonella gastroenteritis bacterium.
The authorities found an "unusually severe" outbreak of the salmonella gastroenteritis bacterium.ST PHOTO: MARK CHEONG

The National Environment Agency (NEA) yesterday terminated the operating licences of Spize restaurant in River Valley Road after completing investigations into the fatal food poisoning incident of Nov 6.

It found an "unusually severe" outbreak of the salmonella gastroenteritis bacterium in seven food poisoning incidents involving 82 people who ate food from the eatery between Nov 6 and Nov 9.

There was "strong evidence of severe contamination" from poor hygiene and food handling practices, said the authorities. Spize's three other outlets were also checked as a precaution and have been allowed to continue operations.

Sats officer Fadli Salleh, 38, fell ill and died after eating a bento box prepared by the River Valley outlet for an event on Nov 6.

SEE TOP OF THE NEWS

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on December 08, 2018, with the headline 'Spize's River Valley licences terminated'. Print Edition | Subscribe