22-year-old man sues father to fund overseas studies: Parents obliged to support children's education

The interior of the Family Court at 3, Havelock Square.
The interior of the Family Court at 3, Havelock Square.PHOTO: ST FILE

A child over the age of 21 can take his parents to court if they refuse to support his overseas university education.

This is in line with a clause in the Women's Charter which mandates payouts for education for a child over 21 as long as he is unable to support himself.

Please or to continue reading the full article. Learn more about ST PREMIUM.

Enjoy unlimited access to ST's best work

  • Exclusive stories and features on multiple devices
  • In-depth analyses and opinion pieces
  • ePaper and award-winning multimedia content
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on August 29, 2019, with the headline 'Parents obliged to support children's education'. Print Edition | Subscribe