The police has arrested nine suspects aged between 20 and 22 years old over the past two days for Saturday's slashing incident at Cathay Cineleisure Orchard.
Preliminary investigations indicate that at least two of the subjects were armed with weapons during the incident. Investigations against all the subjects are ongoing.
The Criminal Investigation Department had taken over investigations and with the assistance of Police Intelligence Department, nabbed the suspects.
According to the victim, Mr Wilson Siau, 20, a full-time national serviceman, the suspects had allegedly attacked him for his "cocky" walking style.
Mr Siau, said he had been smoking at an open space between the mall and *Scape with five other friends after dinner at about 9pm when the group set upon him. He had been kicked, punched and slashed at with parangs.
The victim suffered injuries to his head and lacerations on his hands during the brief but vicious attack. He is now in a stable condition at Singapore General Hospital.
Assistant Director of the Specialised Crime Division of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID), Deputy Assistant Commissioner Sekher Warrier warned that the police take a very stern approach towards such lawless and thuggish behaviour.
"Persons involved in such cases must be prepared to face the full brunt of the law," he said.
Possession of offensive weapons in public is an offence which carries an imprisonment term up to three years and caning, while anyone convicted of rioting with deadly weapons can be imprisoned up to 10 years and caned.
The police also said they will be increasing their enforcement efforts to target youth crime in light of the school holiday period to prevent youths from becoming victims of crime as well as to detect and arrest youth offenders.
This includes patrols and enhanced checks on youths at known congregation areas and crime prone areas. This includes void decks and shopping malls.