The new Woodlands General Hospital is just one of several which will be built in the coming years, in anticipation of an expected rise in demand from an ageing population. Other general and community hospitals coming up include:
-The Ng Teng Fong General Hospital in Jurong will open with 500 beds by December. Another 200 will be available in its community hospital section.
- There will be a window by each bed in every ward at the general hospital to improve privacy and ventilation. The intensive care unit is also connected to an outdoor terrace. The hospital is near Jurong East MRT and Jurong East Bus Interchange.
- Jurong Community Hospital and Yishun Community Hospital will open.
- The Sengkang General and Sengkang Community hospitals will be ready.
- Located at the junction of Sengkang East Road and Sengkang East Way, the hospital complex sits on 6.9ha of land near public housing and will be linked to the Cheng Lim LRT station.
- It will comprise a 1,000-bed general hospital and a 400-bed community hospital. They include 200 "swing beds" which could be used by either hospital.
- The Outram Community Hospital will be ready
- Four new general hospitals will be built. The Woodlands General Hospital is one of them. The locations of the other three have not been identified.