Mother and daughter, 6, among five who saved a man's life after heart attack

SINGAPORE - On Feb 24 this year, 6-year-old Renisse Lim was looking out of the seventh storey window of her Jurong West Street 61 flat when she saw a man collapse on the ground near Block 652.

She alerted her mother Ms Selina Hui, 38, and they rushed down to help the man - Mr Lau Hung Khim. The 51-year-old resident had suffered a cardiac arrest while disposing of some rubbish at a nearby bin.

Mother and daughter were among five people whose actions saved Mr Lau.

They were presented with the Community Lifesaver Awards by Colonel Michael Chua, Commander 4th SCDF Division at a ceremony on Wednesday (March 14) at the SCDF Division in Bukit Batok.

Mr Lau, who is recovering, said he is thankful he was saved.

"I am extremely grateful to the lifesavers who helped me," he said. "Their efforts not only allow me to live but also preserved my family's happiness."

Ms Hui, a manager at Keppel Logistics, said her daughter was looking out of the window because of the flurry of activity surrounding a Residents Committee (RC) Chinese New Year event near her block.

She said as she rushed to Mr Lau that day, she alerted the RC members. Mr Gregory Ng, 40, and Mr Cheong Sun Tze, 46, then ran to get an automated external defibrillator (AED) that was installed at a void deck two blocks way.

Meanwhile, Ms Hui, who had received first aid training at work, performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) on Mr Lau when she realised he was not breathing and did not have a pulse.

"When I first saw him, I was quite scared because he was facing down. A lot was going through my mind," she said.

But she added her first aid training reminded her to check his vital signs to "give him the best chance to survive".

As she was performing CPR, Mr Kiwi Goh, the RC's chairman, joined in. When she was exhausted, Mr Goh, 40, took over.

By then an ambulance was already on the way.

SCDF said that more than 2,300 Singaporeans suffer from cardiac arrest annually, of which only 3 per cent survive.

When the AED arrived, the group used the device until Mr Lau heart started beating again and his breathing recovered.

"In that moment, we just had to overcome all our fears and do what we had to do," said Ms Hui.