Any change to public transport fares is set to take place only in the first half of next year, Transport Minister Lui Tuck Yew said on Monday.
The Public Transport Council (PTC) will need time to implement changes to existing commuter concessions recommended last week by the Fare Review Mechanism Committee (FRMC), on top of applying a new fare formula, he told Parliament.
The council will consider the 2012 fare cap, based on the old formula which was suspended pending the FRMC review, and the 2013 fare cap based on the new fare formula.
"Should the PTC, after careful study, decide not to effect both fare caps in one go, it may allow for part of this to be rolled over, as provided for under the new fare mechanism framework," Mr Lui said.
The minister also urged the PTC to consider not granting any fare increase that exceeds the average national wage increase this year.
"This will avoid an outcome where fares suddenly become less affordable for the average commuter," he said.