The police on Tuesday thanked members of the public who responded to its appeal and contributed photos and videos relating to Sunday's riot in Little India.
Videos and photos of the incident along Race Course Road had surfaced on the Internet, largely via social media, within minutes after first signs of violence broke.
A total of 36 men, mostly from India, have been arrested in connection with the case. Twenty-four were charged in court earlier in the day for rioting, while four - including a Singapore Permanent Resident and two Bangladeshi nationals - were released after further investigations.
The police also, in a separate statement on Tuesday, reiterated the reasons behind the tactical decisions that were made when responding to the riot.
"When the situation escalated, the police's main objective was to contain the situation and minimise any injuries to all present, particularly innocent bystanders," said a spokesman, adding that the use of a non-violent containment approach is among the suite of tactics and operational strategies that the police adopts in the face of different challenges and threats.
"The police is grateful for the concern and appreciation that many members of the public have expressed for officers involved in the containment operation. Many have asked if the Police could have used tougher measures and even deadly force on Sunday," added a spokesman. "The commanders on the ground on Sunday had decided that the appropriate strategy was containment and the officers carried out their duty and responsibility accordingly. Injuries were kept to a minimum and the situation was brought under control within two hours."
Investigations into the fatal traffic accident that allegedly sparked the riot and the violence that followed are still ongoing, said the police. Members of the public who would like to submit any additional information are advised to do so via www.spf.gov.sg/iwitness and www.spf.gov.sg/CrimeStopper.