Istana site hacking: Second suspect charged with 'unauthorised modification' of webpage

Student Melvin Teo (above), the second suspect behind the hacking of an Istana webpage, was charged in court, on Friday, Nov 29, 2013, with two counts of unauthorised modification of computer material under the Computer Misuse and Cybersecurity Act.&
Student Melvin Teo (above), the second suspect behind the hacking of an Istana webpage, was charged in court, on Friday, Nov 29, 2013, with two counts of unauthorised modification of computer material under the Computer Misuse and Cybersecurity Act. -- ST PHOTO:  LAU FOOK KONG

Student Melvin Teo, the second suspect behind the hacking of an Istana webpage, was charged in court on Friday with two counts of unauthorised modification of computer material under the Computer Misuse and Cybersecurity Act.

This after businessman Delson Moo, 42, was separately charged in court earlier in the morning with similar offences on Nov 8, the same day and just a minute after Melvin is accused of of intruding into the Istana website.

The 17-year-old Institute of Technical Education student allegedly hacked into website twice at 12.33am that night through its search function and modified the code to cause the site to display the phrase, "Patrick Tan For The Win", followed by picture of a man pointing his index finger and the phrase "Melvin Teo For The Win".

When asked by Judge Eddy Tham if the cases against Melvin and Moo are linked, Deputy Public Prosecutor Kumaresan Gohulabalan said they were "factually connected".

Melvin arrived at the court to face charges at about 2.15pm wiht his parents and two relatives. He has been released on $10,000 bail but Moo's bail was doubled to $20,000 after he was granted permission to leave Singapore for a family holiday in Thailand next month. He also has to report to the police within 24 hours of his return.

Moo, who is represented by lawyer M. Ravi, had alledgly intruded into the website twice at 12.34am that night through its search function and modified the code to cause the site to display a picture of an old woman pointing her middle finger, along with a string of offensive words in Hokkien.

Mr Ravi is also representing James Raj Arokiasamy, whom court documents previously identified as the alleged hacker who used "The Messiah" pseudonym.

The 35-year-old accused of hacking the Ang Mo Kio Town Council website has been remanded for further investigations.

Police had said previously that the cases against Moo and Melvin are not linked to James Raj, who also faces drug offences committed in 2011.