Hunt for hubby of decapitated woman found in Whampoa River

Husband left Singapore before body was found; forklift driver arrested

Mr Harvinder Singh, 33, had left Singapore 30 minutes before the body of his wife, Ms Jasvinder Kaur, was found. The police are now looking for the senior logistics coordinator.
Mr Harvinder Singh, 33, had left Singapore 30 minutes before the body of his wife, Ms Jasvinder Kaur, was found. The police are now looking for the senior logistics coordinator.

The decapitated body of a woman found in Whampoa River last week has been identified as that of Ms Jasvinder Kaur, the 33-year-old wife of a logistics executive, also 33, who was working here on an employment pass.

Police also said on Thursday that a 25-year-old forklift driver has been arrested in connection with her murder, and they are looking for her husband Harvinder Singh to help in their investigations.

All three are Indian nationals.

Mr Singh, who is friends with the forklift driver, had left Singapore 30 minutes before his wife's body was found - without her head and hands - and reported to the police by a jogger and cleaner at about 7.30am last Thursday.

The senior logistics coordinator left by bus through Woodlands Checkpoint, but it is not known if he is in Malaysia.

Police, however, said they have "sought the assistance of our counterparts in the neighbouring countries to trace his whereabouts".

The couple were living in Balestier and neighbours told the police that there was no sign of any quarrel between husband and wife before her death.

Ms Kaur's body was wrapped in a trash bag when it was found floating in the waterway between McNair Road and St George's Road.

Besides her missing head and hands, her arms had been apparently mutilated.

About 30 police officers spent three hours searching through five tonnes of rubbish at Tuas South incineration plant and have yet to find her body parts.

The police said the Indian High Commission is helping to contact the family of Ms Kaur, who is a beautician.

The forklift driver was arrested on Wednesday at his workplace, a warehouse in Sims Avenue.

When The Straits Times visited the warehouse yesterday, a staff member said his boss is not in Singapore and may not be aware of the arrest.

He added that the suspect is not a permanent employee and had joined the company recently.

Police said the forklift driver had come to Singapore to work as a construction worker in September 2010. His work permit was cancelled in December last year owing to a dispute with his former employer, but he held a Special Pass when he was arrested.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner of Police Adrian Quek Sei Wei said the suspect was identified before Ms Kaur's identity was established.

Closed-circuit television cameras as well as extensive groundwork and intelligence work helped nail the suspect, said DAC Quek, who is assistant director of the Major Crimes Division at the Criminal Investigation Department (CID).

Ms Kaur's identity was established via forensic means on Wednesday afternoon, soon after the suspect was caught.

Police said he did not put up a struggle during his arrest. No weapon has been found.

Director of CID Hoong Wee Teck commended his officers for working tirelessly to solve the unusual case.

Mr Hoong, who is also the Deputy Commissioner of Police, added: "It is a serious case which had attracted a lot of public attention. The circumstances surrounding this case had posed a unique challenge to the police at the onset of investigations."

Anyone with information on Mr Singh may call the police on 1800-255-0000 or give information online at

Join ST's WhatsApp Channel and get the latest news and must-reads.