Reminder for 2G mobile users
Owners of 2G mobile phones here will no longer be able to use their devices from April 1, the Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) said in a press statement yesterday.
The 2G network will be shut down in stages by Singapore's three mobile network operators - M1, Singtel and StarHub. The shutdown will be completed by April 18.
IMDA reminded all remaining 2G mobile users to switch to 3G or 4G handsets as soon as possible so as to continue using their mobile plans.
These users will be able to retain their numbers and subscription plans on the 3G or 4G networks at no additional cost and with no recontract.
In approving the telcos' request for the cessation of the 2G network, IMDA took into consideration the evolving technological landscape and the migration of consumers to 3G and 4G technologies, which offer more service features and higher data speeds.
The 2G network was first introduced in Singapore in 1994. The cessation of 2G mobile services was first announced in 2015.
Beware of Facebook scam: Police
There have been several reports of people incurring charges to their mobile phone bills after providing confidential information to strangers over Facebook, the police said in a Facebook post yesterday.
The scammers contacted the victims by sending friend requests on the social media platform, even setting up accounts closely resembling their friends' accounts in some cases.
They then asked for the victims' mobile phone numbers and service providers.
With that information, the scammers made online purchases of gaming credits or online gift cards.
These purchases were charged to the victims' mobile phone bills after they provided the One Time Password or verification code to the scammers.
The victims realised they had been cheated only when they received their bills.
The police reminded people not to share their personal information with anyone. Friend requests from strangers on social networks should also be viewed cautiously.
Any fraudulent charges on your phone bill should be reported to your service provider immediately.
Halimah on 3-day visit to Australia
Speaker of Parliament Halimah Yacob has left for a three-day official visit to Australia until tomorrow, accompanied by MPs Edwin Tong, Darryl David and Henry Kwek.
The visit is at the invitation of Australia's Senate president Stephen Parry and Speaker of the House of Representatives Tony Smith, who will jointly host Madam Halimah at an official dinner.
Her trip reciprocates Mr Smith's visit to Singapore last year, and aims to foster interactions between both countries' parliamentarians, according to a press statement by the office of the Clerk of Parliament yesterday.
Madam Halimah will also meet Minister for Foreign Affairs Julie Bishop, Shadow Minister for Foreign Affairs Penny Wong, and Shadow Minister for Families and Social Services Jenny Macklin.
The Australia-Singapore Parliamentary Group, chaired by Federal Member for Capricornia Michelle Landry, will hold an official luncheon at Parliament House for her.
Madam Halimah will lay a wreath at the Australian War Memorial and attend separate question-time sessions of the House of Representatives and the Senate.