Synopsis: In this fortnightly podcast series on Wednesdays, The Straits Times guides you to healthier living and clears up common misconceptions on health.
In this episode, ST correspondent Joyce Teo and podcasting head Ernest Luis host Ms Alvernia Chua, a senior dietitian with National Healthcare Group Polyclinics.
She will clear up the air about a popular weight loss approach called intermittent fasting. What are the different methods? What are the misconceptions?
There are different methods, such as fasting for 16 hours and eating within an eight-hour window, or fasting on alternate days or for an entire day in a week.
1. What reduces weight is total amount of calories consumed in a day (1:25)
2. Find out why those with diabetes should view intermittent fasting methods with caution (3:18)
3. Which groups of people - including breastfeeding mothers - should not try intermittent fasting (4:35)
4. What is the 16:8 intermittent fasting method? (6:10)
5. Side effects of intermittent fasting methods (9:20)
Produced by: Joyce Teo and Ernest Luis
Edited by: Adam Azlee
Follow more Health Check podcasts and rate us on:
Apple Podcasts: http://str.sg/oeXP
Google Podcasts: http://str.sg/oeLN
Feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your support! ST and BT Podcasts picked up a silver medal for Best Digital Project to engage younger and/or millennial audiences at 2019 Asian Digital Media Awards by Wan-Ifra: https://str.sg/Jw5T