Health Check Ep 59: What you can eat to sleep better
Synopsis: Every first and third Wednesday of the month, The Straits Times helps you make sense of health matters that affect you.
In this episode, ST senior health correspondent Joyce Teo speaks with Dr Richard Swinburne, a sleep scientist and the Head of Sports Nutrition at the Singapore Sports Institute on sleep nutrition, how he flew to Texas a few years ago to help Olympic gold medallist Joseph Schooling to sleep better and why you need to sleep well before and after getting your Covid-19 vaccine.
They discuss the following points:
1. You can get DNA-tested to see how sensitive you are to caffeine (1:04)
2. Caffeine takes 4-6 hours to break down to half its strength, using a double espresso as an example (1:59)
3. How kiwi fruit, tart cherry in natural concentrate or pill form - and omega 3 fish oils for children - can encourage good sleep (2:29)
4. How having enough sleep can help you before and after a Covid-19 vaccination? (5:46)
5. Helping Singapore's Olympic swim champion Joseph Schooling with the perfect performance-enhancing drug called "Zzzz" (7:24)
Listen to Ep 60- How to sleep right: https://omny.fm/shows/health-check-1/how-to-sleep-right-health-check-ep-60
Ep 9 - Why sleep habits need to be formed when young: https://omny.fm/shows/health-check-1/why-sleep-habits-need-to-be-formed-...
Ep 10 - Can schools and parents help boost the cognition and well-being of sleep-deprived Singaporean teenagers? https://omny.fm/shows/health-check-1/can-schools-and-parents-help-boost-...
Produced by: Joyce Teo (firstname.lastname@example.org), Penelope Lee and Ernest Luis
Edited by: Penelope Lee
Subscribe to Health Check Podcast channel, hear the latest episodes fortnightly on Wednesdays and rate us on your favourite audio apps:
Apple Podcasts: https://str.sg/JWRX
Google Podcasts: https://str.sg/J6Wv
Feedback to: email@example.com
Read Joyce Teo's stories: https://str.sg/JbxN