The four-year-old boy's skin looked "burnt" because he had been scratching himself so much that his skin got infected with bacteria.
The infection was so bad that a fever set in. When the boy was brought to hospital by his parents, "his whole body looked burnt and his dead skin was flaking off all over his body", recalled Dr Chong Jin Ho of the case, which happened about three years ago.
TO READ THE FULL ARTICLE
Thank you for reading The Straits Times
You have reached one of our Premium stories. To continue reading, get access now or log in if you are a subscriber.
What is Premium?
New promotion with The Straits Times
For a limited time, get a Google Home or a Google Home Mini when you subscribe.