A 63-year-old woman from Bedok North died on Thursday after coming down with dengue.
The woman, who lived in Bedok North Street 3, died in Changi General Hospital, the Ministry of Health (MOH) and the National Environment Agency (NEA) said in a joint statement yesterday.
She was admitted to the hospital on Wednesday but her condition deteriorated after that, the statement said.
The authorities said her home in Bedok North is not within an active dengue cluster, but measures to kill mosquitoes and destroy their potential breeding grounds are ongoing.
"Residents are urged to cooperate fully and allow NEA officers to inspect their premises for mosquito breeding, and spray insecticide to kill any infective mosquitoes," the statement added.
MOH and NEA expressed their condolences to the woman's family
This is the third reported dengue death this year. The other two casualties of the mosquito-borne virus this year were a 67-year-old Singaporean man who lived in Toa Payoh, and a 47-year-old man from Marsiling Rise.
Unless immediate action is taken, the number of dengue cases this year could exceed 30,000 - higher than the record number in 2013, when 22,170 cases were reported, the authorities said.
The projected spike in dengue cases is due to a warmer climate, an increase in the mosquito population, and changes in the dengue virus.
"With the threat of the Zika virus, it is even more critical to reduce the mosquito population by removing the source of mosquito breeding," said MOH and NEA.
The Zika and dengue viruses share the same carrier: the Aedes mosquito.
The authorities urged people to join in efforts to bring down the mosquito population.
The number of dengue cases here has fallen since a spike early this year. Last week, there were 412 new cases, 100 cases fewer than in the week before.
About 5,000 new dengue cases have been detected since the beginning of the year.