68-year-old S'porean man dies of Covid-19, the 21st death here; 53-year-old Indian man who died of heart attack was found to have Covid-19

A 68-year-old Singaporean man died from complications due to Covid-19 on May 11.
A 68-year-old Singaporean man died from complications due to Covid-19 on May 11. ST PHOTO: KELVIN CHNG

SINGAPORE - A 68-year-old Singaporean man, who had a history of hypertension and hyperlipidaemia, died from complications due to Covid-19 on Monday (May 11), bringing Singapore's death toll to 21.

A 53-year-old Indian national has also died after suffering a cardiac arrest on Saturday before later testing positive. The Ministry of Health (MOH) has classified his death as being caused by ruptured myocardial infarction due to coronary thrombosis, making him the seventh person here to die from other causes despite testing positive.

MOH said that only cases where the attending doctor or pathologist attributes the primary or underlying cause of death as due to Covid-19 infection will be added to the death count, as is consistent with international practice for classifying deaths. It noted that in 2018, 86 male foreign workers aged 25 to 59 passed away due to heart disease in Singapore.

On Monday, Singapore reported one of its lowest daily increases in new infections in recent weeks, partly due to fewer tests being processed after an equipment fault produced false positives over the weekend.

MOH said earlier in its preliminary update that the apparatus, which is used for one of the test kits, is being recalibrated. While cases have fallen below 1,000 in the past week, they have generally ranged between 600 and 800, unlike the 486 cases reported on Monday.

The day's cases take the country's total count to 23,787, the highest in South-east Asia.

Meanwhile, three new clusters were announced, including one at Tuas South Apartments, one at 47 Senoko Drive and one at 566 Woodlands Road.

Among the new cases were one Singaporean and one permanent resident, and one work pass holder, two work permit holders living outside dormitories, and 481 migrant workers living in dormitories.

S11 dormitory @ Punggol, Singapore's biggest cluster which on Sunday reported no new cases, saw four more cases on Monday. It has 2,543 confirmed cases to date.

 
 
 

With three weeks left till Singapore's circuit breaker measures are expected to ease on June 1, MOH data shows positive signs that cases outside dormitories could be under control.

The ministry said the number of local cases excluding dormitory residents and other work permit holders have continued to fall, from nine cases daily two weeks ago to eight in the past week.

Its tracing efforts have also found that fewer of these are unlinked - from a daily average of five to three over the same period - possibly indicating that there are fewer undetected cases in the community.

On Monday, 504 patients were reported to have been discharged, higher than the number of new cases.

As of Monday, 3,218 patients in Singapore have fully recovered and been discharged.

Globally, the outbreak, which began in December last year, has infected more than 4.17 million people. Some 284,000 have died.