Foodpanda delivery rider taken to hospital after accident with car in Balestier

A man lying on the road near a toppled motorcycle following the accident in Balestier on March 1, 2018.
A man lying on the road near a toppled motorcycle following the accident in Balestier on March 1, 2018.PHOTO: SHIN MIN DAILY NEWS READER

SINGAPORE - A 27-year-old Foodpanda delivery rider was taken to hospital after an accident with a car in Balestier on Thursday (March 1).

The police told The Straits Times on Saturday that they were alerted to the accident in Balestier Road, towards Thomson Road, at 2.30pm on Thursday.

The motorcyclist was conscious when taken to Tan Tock Seng Hospital.

ST understands that he suffered leg injuries.

A photo of the aftermath, posted in Shin Min Daily News on Saturday, shows a toppled motorcycle next to the road divider. A pink Foodpanda delivery bag can be seen on its side, behind the motorcycle.

The photo shows a man attending to a person lying on the road, believed to be the delivery rider. Another man is looking on.

The delivery rider's sister, a 39-year-old administrative assistant who gave her name as Julie, told Shin Min: "At the time, he was going to change lanes, and checked before doing so, but a car appeared suddenly and collided with him."

She said her brother was flung onto the road upon impact and fractured his thigh. She said he has undergone one operation, and is still in hospital.

"We hope some eyewitnesses can step forward, or anyone with footage of the accident, so we can find out what happened," she said.

A spokesman for Foodpanda told ST that the rider's motorcycle tyre was damaged at about 2.30pm that day, while he was on the move. He fell off the bike as a result.

"When such an unfortunate accident happens, our dispatcher will arrange for a new batch to be collected by another rider after informing the customer of the delay," said the spokesman. "The rider is currently recovering in the hospital and is making a speedy recovery. We sent him a small gift to send our best wishes."

Police investigations are ongoing.