Every month, KKH sees 20 children who have been poisoned - by household stuff

Toddlers swallow household stuff such as shampoo simply because they are "ambulant, curious about their surroundings and have not learnt to discriminate between poisons and edible food", a study found.
Toddlers swallow household stuff such as shampoo simply because they are "ambulant, curious about their surroundings and have not learnt to discriminate between poisons and edible food", a study found.ST POSED PHOTO: KEVIN LIM

Toddlers shouldn't be left alone in a room with mothballs. The same could be said of pairing them with detergent, insecticides, pills and silica gel.

Every month, the emergency department of KK Women's and Children's Hospital (KKH) sees about 20 children who have been poisoned. About half need to be admitted for further care, with a few requiring intensive care.

Please or to continue reading the full article.

Get unlimited access to all stories at $0.99/month

  • Latest headlines and exclusive stories
  • In-depth analyses and award-winning multimedia content
  • Get access to all with our no-contract promotional package at only $0.99/month for the first 3 months*

*Terms and conditions apply.

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on June 16, 2018, with the headline 'Every month, KKH sees 20 children who have been poisoned - by household stuff'. Subscribe