SINGAPORE - The Straits Times won three special awards at the Singapore Press Holdings' (SPH) annual awards ceremony for its English, Malay and Tamil Media Group on Wednesday (March 22).
Here are the winning works:
Special Award of the Year for excellence in writing
Akshita Nanda, Alyssa Woo, Anjali Raguraman, Ankita Varma, Bryna Singh, Chan Boon Lian, Eddino Abdul Hadi, Lea Wee, Lydia Vasko, Nur Asyiqin Mohamad Salleh, Rohit Brijnath, Venessa Lee, Tan Hsueh Yun and Wong Ah Yoke for "Reading special - An ode to reading". (The Sunday Times, May 8, 2016)
Read more here.
Special Award of the Year for excellence in enterprise and teamwork
Adrian Lim, Yasmine Yahya, Lin Yangchen, Karamjit Kaur, Irene Tham, Carolyn Khew, Joanna Seow, Janice Heng, Audrey Tan, Samantha Boh, Jacqueline Woo, Calvin Yang, Elaine Tan, Chng Choon Hiong, Manuel Francisco, Mike Dizon, Tang Wee Cheow, Lim Yong and Bryandt Lyn for the series "Fast forward: Disruption and the Singapore economy". (The Straits Times, May 14, 21 and 28, June 4, 11, 18 and 25, July 2, 9, 16, 23 and 30 and Aug 6, 2016)
- May 14: When private cars go the way of horse
- May 21: Banks and the barbarians at their gates
- May 28: The invisible disruption of nano-scale
- June 4: Aviation's shifting centre of gravity
- June 11: And next, a mobile digital ID
- June 18: Now printing: A revolution in how things are made
- June 25: Smart cities, smoother lives
- July 2: Disrupting dependence in water, food, fuel
- July 9: Living with robots
- July 16: Asean - the new growth frontier
- July 23: The big shift from young to ageing workforce
- July 30: Reinventing classes, pushing boundaries
- Aug 6: Making disruption work for humans
Special Award of the Year for consistently good work
Manuel A Francisco for his illustrations:
• "Package deal? Do your checks before you sign up"
• "Do driverless cars dream of electric sheep?"
• "The real fear behind French burkini ban"
• "Time to rev up discussion about insurance for driverless cars"
• "Conserved buildings: Consult public before slicing and dicing"
• "Obama's legacy in Asia"
• "Francisco's Take: Is it just me or do the new Apple airpods look like... the Star Trek USS Enterprise?!"
• "Europe yet to realise how badly Brexit wil hurt"
• "Dual-class shares - a must or a bust?"
• "The Obama presidency: An assessment"
• "India-Pakistan ties head for dangerous low over Kashmir"
• "The hunt for good investment yields"
(The Straits Times/The Sunday Times, Sept 1-28, 2016)