E-bike rider killed in accident with prime mover at Geylang

An e-bike rider died in an accident at the junction of Geylang Lorong 13 and Sims Avenue.
An e-bike rider died in an accident at the junction of Geylang Lorong 13 and Sims Avenue.ST PHOTO: LIM YAOHUI

SINGAPORE - An electric-bicycle rider died in an accident with a prime mover at the junction of Lorong 13 Geylang and Sims Avenue on Monday (June 12) evening.

Believed to be an employee of a zi char food stall at a coffee shop on Lorong 17, the 59-year-old man had been doing a delivery on his e-bike when he was struck, based on accounts from those at the scene.

A 48-year-old driver was arrested for causing death by rash act, police said.

“We were busy working at our stall when we heard someone cry out. We rushed to see what happened, and saw that he was already on the ground,” said Mr Sam Lai, 37, a durian seller on Sims Avenue.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) told The Straits Times that it was alerted at about 7pm and dispatched one ambulance.

A man in his 40s received minor injuries but refused to be taken to hospital. Another man was pronounced dead by SCDF at the scene.

When ST's photojournalist arrived on the scene, police had set up a blue tent at the area and a green prime mover was seen parked in front of the fallen e-bike.

“When we saw him, we knew he was gone. His head was crushed,” said Mr Lai, who looked visibly shaken by the memory.

He added that he often ordered food from the victim, and that the older man had been a responsible worker who regularly made the deliveries.

“My heart ached when I saw him. I couldn’t take it, and had to look away,” he said. 

Someone else called the police.

When ST visited the food stall where the deceased was believed to have worked, staff declined to comment on the incident.

An unemployed man who said he was the victim’s friend told ST that the man was known as “Ah Hua” and had been working at the food stall for at least a year.

“My friend called to say Ah Hua had been run over. I was in disbelief,” said the 55-year-old, who declined to be named. “I came to know him because I eat at this coffee shop often.”

“He was an easygoing man, and was very responsible. Whenever I came here for dinner, I’d see him. He usually ends work around 4am,” he added.

Police investigations are ongoing.