Pregnant woman killed in Jurong West accident, premature baby saved by doctors

Doctors performed an emergency caesarean section to rescue the baby of Ms Goh Chieh Ting (pictured), who was killed in an accident on May 13, 2017. PHOTO: FACEBOOK/GOH CHIEH TING
Ms Goh Chieh Ting (left) was hit by a lorry while crossing the road with her mother-in-law on May 13, 2017. PHOTO: FACEBOOK/GOH CHIEH TING

SINGAPORE - Doctors extracted a premature baby from the victim of a fatal road accident which happened in Jurong West on Saturday (May 13).

The woman, who has been identified as Goh Chieh Ting, 25, was six months pregnant when she was hit by a lorry while crossing the road, Shin Min Daily News reported on Sunday.

She did not respond to treatment in hospital and was later pronounced dead. However, doctors performed an emergency caesarean section and managed to save her daughter, who is in stable condition.

The fatal accident happened on Saturday at 8am, on Jurong West Avenue 1 towards Corporation Road, near Block 456.

Eyewitnesses told the Chinese evening daily that Ms Goh was holding a woman's hand as she crossed the road. It is understood the other woman is Ms Goh's mother-in-law. Subsequently, a lorry drove out from the carpark and turned right. Even though the driver slammed on the brakes, he was unable to halt the vehicle in time and hit Ms Goh.

Cleaner Yi Fan, 21, said that he was cleaning Block 456 and saw the two women walk past him, before tragedy struck moments after.

He told Shin Min: "The woman who was hit was lying on the legs of the other woman, and the right side of her body was full of blood."

Ms Goh, who hailed from Johor, held a long-term visiting permit and had lived near the site of the accident with her parents-in-law, according to Shin Min.

On the day of the accident, she and her mother-in-law had just eaten breakfast and were about to cross the road to visit the market.

After the accident struck, Ms Goh was taken unconscious to Ng Teng Fong General Hospital. She died at 9.30am on Saturday as a result of severe head injuries.

When contacted, the police said that a 46-year-old male driver had been arrested for causing death by negligence.

Join ST's WhatsApp Channel and get the latest news and must-reads.