Dead spider found in Aloha Poke bowl

Raw fish salad bar Aloha Poke has apologised after Facebook user Siew Ping wrote about her "amazing spiderman" experience.
Raw fish salad bar Aloha Poke has apologised after Facebook user Siew Ping wrote about her "amazing spiderman" experience.PHOTO: SIEW PING/FACEBOOK

Raw fish salad bar Aloha Poke has apologised after a customer found a large dead spider in her salmon poke bowl last Thursday.

Mr John Chen, one of the co-founders of the home-grown eatery, told The Straits Times yesterday that the Katong kitchen where the Deliveroo order was prepared will be closed for two days for thorough investigation and cleaning.

On Friday, the day after she ordered the meal, Facebook user Siew Ping wrote about her "amazing spiderman" experience in a post.

When she alerted Aloha Poke to the issue, they apologised and explained that their salad supplier had received similar feedback, she said.

"Perhaps, spiders are not as bad as rats or roaches. However, as Aloha Poke is handling raw food and that is susceptible to bacteria growth and contamination, its hygiene standards cannot be compromised at any time," she added.

She has since received a full refund for her meal and $20 worth of Deliveroo credits.

Deliveroo Singapore's general manager Siddharth Shanker said it was investigating the incident along with Aloha Poke and the National Environment Agency.

Ng Huiwen

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on May 15, 2018, with the headline 'Dead spider found in Aloha Poke bowl'. Print Edition | Subscribe