Woman gets 2 weeks' jail for throwing glass at nightclubber

Jasmine Angie Ong was sentenced to two weeks' jail on Jan 26 after she pleaded guilty to a rash act causing hurt at Shanghai Dolly in Clarke Quay on Jan 30, 2017. PHOTO: LIANHE WANBAO FILE

SINGAPORE - A woman lost her temper with a fellow nightclubber and threw a glass at him as he danced on stage.

Although that one missed, a second one hit him in the face before smashing on the floor.

Jobless Jasmine Angie Ong, 28, was sentenced to two weeks' jail on Friday (Jan 26) after she pleaded guilty to a rash act causing hurt at Shanghai Dolly in Clarke Quay on Jan 30 last year.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Derek Ee said that Ong and her friends, including Mr Soh Lai Seng, 36, had shared two towers of beer at the nightclub.

Their table was behind the tables of Mr Tan Lai Hock, 44, and his two friends.

Ong felt that her view of the stage was being blocked and she asked Mr Soh to tell the trio in front to move but they did not.

When the band's performance ended, Mr Tan moved to the stage and started dancing.

At 3.25am, Ong was drinking with her friends when she felt that someone had thrown something at her table.

Thinking it was Mr Tan, she looked in his direction but he continued dancing.

She got angry and threw a glass at him which missed. Mr Tan looked at Ong and her friends and saw her gesturing at him.

Still angry, Ong picked up another glass. Mr Soh tried to stop her but she hurled it at Tan, hitting his left cheek. The victim suffered redness and pain on his left cheek.

Ong and Mr Tan were ushered out of the nightclub. Outside, Mr Tan was arrested for disorderly behaviour. He was later fined $2,000.

In mitigation, Ong's lawyer Chew Zijie said the incident arose from a misunderstanding and that she committed the offences "in a moment of heat and folly".

He said Ong was remorseful and was deeply sorry.

District Judge Jasvender Kaur agreed with the prosecution that the custodial threshold was crossed. She said the resulting injury had been relatively minor.

She allowed Ong to surrender herself on Feb 28. Ong could have been jailed for up to one year and/or fined up to $5,000 for the rash act to endanger the personal safety of others.

Join ST's WhatsApp Channel and get the latest news and must-reads.